11/25/2007

"Pocket Cross"




So said the sign above the little selection of plastic canvass crosses. It's a cross in a pocket for a pocket. Redundant? Not at all.

The purported purpose of the pocket cross is to remind the user of their chosen faith. You know. In case you are prone to forgetting your religion, you can carry this little plastic and yarn cross with you so that whenever you search for change for the meter or try to find quarters for the tip cup at Starbucks, "OH! There it is! RIGHT! I'm a CHRISTIAN. Dang. I almost forgot. Thank God for my pocket cross. Otherwise I might have put nickels in the tip cup. Whew!"

And for the extra forgetful, the pocket cross comes equipped with a mimeographed poem to remind you why you have this weird plastic/yarn item in your pocket to begin with:

The Cross In My Pocket

I carry a cross in my pocket
A simple reminder to me
Of the fact that I am a Christian
No matter where I may be.

This little cross is not magic
Nor is it a good luck charm.
It isn't meant to protect me
From every physical harm.

It's not for identification
For all the world to see.
It's simply an understanding
Between my Savior and me.

When I put my hand in my pocket
To bring out a coin or a key
The cross is there to remind me
Of the price he paid for me.

It reminds me, too, to be thankful
For the blessings day by day
And to strive to serve Him better
In all that I do and say.

It is also a daily reminder
Of the peace and comfort I share
With all who know my Master
And give themselves to his care.

So I carry a cross in my pocket,
Reminding no one but me,
That Jesus Christ is Lord of my life
If only I'll let Him be.





Material: yarn, plastic canvas, paper
Technique: needle point, typing
Provenance: community kraft sale, Southwest Missouri

No comments: